What are some of the things I should be aware of before cosigning a bail bond contractual agreement?
The following is information you should know before consigning a bail bond:
- The contract is binding until the case is fully disposed.
- If the defendant stops paying, the payment will fall on you.
- If the defendant fails to appear in court, the financial penalty will fall on you
- The indemnity agreement is enforceable in court.
The bond is not limited to the first court appearance but remains in effect and binding throughout all the stages of the trial which may take days, weeks, months or even years.
If the defendant stops paying their bail bond payment, the payment will be your responsibility as the cosigner.
The cosigner will be obligated for the full amount of the bail if the bond is forfeited as a result of the defendant failing to appear in court.
Outstanding civil judgments against a cosigner resulting from defaulted bail bond contracts can have a negative impact on the cosigner’s job. It can also complicate renewal of a professional license, result in the seizure of personal property and can eventually become a lien against real property.
- What is a bail bond?
- How does a bail bond work?
- How can I get a bail bond?
- Can my bail be decreased or increased?
- If I am arrested, how long will it take for me to get booked, processed and ready for a bail agent to post my bond?
- How long is a person accountable to the bail agent?
- Can the bail agent arrest me and put me back in jail?
- What should I put up for collateral?
- When will I get my collateral back?
- What does "bail exoneration" mean?
- What do bondsmen do?
- Is a defendant allowed to leave the state or the country while on bond?
- What if the defendant is rearrested when out of jail on a bond?
- What does it mean if a defendant's bond is forfeited?
- What does collateral on a bond mean?
- If I co-sign a bail bond, what am I agreeing to?
- How is the bail amount decided?
- Will I get my bail money back after the case is over?
- What if the defendant does not show up in court after I have posted the bail?
- How long will it take to get a person out of jail?
- How long does a bail bond last?
- What is co-signing?
- What is the process of getting bailed out of jail?
- What are the traits a good bail bond agent must possess?
- When does forfeiture take place?
- How long is a bail bond good for?
- What are the bail bond charges and fees in Pennsylvania?
- My friend has been arrested and needs a bail bondsman to get him out of jail. What are his different bond options?
- How Does a Judge Determine Bail Amounts?
- What are the benefits of hiring a bail bond agent?
- What types of bail conditions does a court impose before releasing a person on bail?
- What are some of the things I should be aware of before cosigning a bail bond contractual agreement?
- How can I speed up the bail bond process?
- What are some mistakes to avoid after being arrested?
- What are the different kinds of immigration bond?